Hiking holiday in Filzmoos
Panoramic view, Bischofsmütze mountain & breathtaking scenery
Savour something magical when you stand on a peak – a feeling of freedom and euphoria. The feeling of simply having arrived, in the heart of nature. In Filzmoos the mountains are your home. Protected by the imposing Bischofsmütze you’ll find the perfect base for easy family walks, varied mountain hikes and demanding climbing tours. The Bischofsmütze, highest mountain in the Gosau range, is not just ideal for climbing, but is also a power spot and a haven of tranquility for guests and locals alike. Start your tours in the village of Filzmoos to the peaks in the Salzburger Land directly from the Hotel Dachstein. The bus stop for the wanderbus is just 100 m away. One thing is certain – your hiking holiday will be unforgettable!
Hiking, mountaineering & climbing
- A wealth of footpaths, mountain tours, long-distance hikes und themed trails with standardized sign-posting
- Hiking possibilities for all ability levels
- Over 300 climbing routes around the Bischofsmütze: free climbing routes, climbing trails, climbing park for experienced climbers
- Acces to the Salzburger Almenweg Trail from Filzmoos
- Themed trails for the whole family e.g. children’s path to the Moosalm, Bachlalm nature trail, Ants’ Path…
- Lift in operation in summer for easy “ascent”: Grossberg chairlift open several times a week
- Cosy huts for refreshment stops e.g. Oberhofalm with traditional Austrian home cooking
- Guided hiking tours organised by “Filzmoos Aktiv” accompanied by qualified hiking and mountain guides
- LOWA hiking shoe test centre in Filzmoos
- Hikes can be started from from the doorstep of our Hotel Dachstein
Hiking bus stop just 50 m from our hotel
Make use of the Filzmoos hiking bus to get to your starting point easily or to return to Filzmoos after your hike. Guests staying in hiking bus member properties travel with their Salzburger Sportwelt Card (free from the Hotel Dachstein) and the integrated hiking bus ticket free of charge. In addition, guests can travel on the public buses in the Salzburger Sportwelt with their valid Salzburger Sportwelt Card for just € 1,- per journey (valid from 22nd June to 25th September).
Our tour suggestions
Neuberg – Nestlerhof – Gerzkopf – Schäferhütte – Gsengplatte – Langeggsattel – Neuberg
approx. 11.5 km, 790 m height difference
duration: 5.45 hrs
Oberhofalm – Wallehenhütte – Sulzenhals – Bachlalm – Nösslerriedel – Weitenhausalm – Filzmoos
approx. 12 km, 705 m height difference
duration: 5.40 hrs
Filzmoos – Karalm – Rossbrand – Radstädter Hütte – Mooserscharte – Moosalm – Filzmoos
approx. 14 km, 800 m height difference
duration: 5.30 hrs
Aualm – Sulzkaralm – Austriaweg – Hofpürglhütte – Wastl Lackner Steig – Unterhofalm
approx. 12 km, 740 m height difference
duration: 4.30 hrs
Interesting information about the local flora and fauna and history of the regions’ inhabitants
Filzmoos – toll booth – nature trail – Unterhofalm – Almsee Lake – Oberhofalm
approx. 8 km, 300 m height difference
duration: 2.00 hrs
Have fun collecting stamps along the path up to the Moosalm, stamp booklets available from reception
Filzmoos – Moosalm – Filzmoos forest track – UNICEF Path of Hearts – Filzmoos
approx. 5.5 km, 340 m height difference
duration: 2.00 hrs
Hofpürglhütte climbing park
- Routes partly consist of several pitches and are equipped with bolts
- Climbing park can be reached in 5 mins. from the Hofpürglalm
- Ideal climbing park for beginners and intermediates
- 250 climbing routes from 1-3 pitches
- 15 alpine climbing routes
- Level of difficulty – 3-9a
- Exposure: the rocks face in all directions
Climbing trails on the Dachstein
The challenging: DER JOHANN
- Climbing trail throughout the south wall of the Dachstein – by far the most challenging at the southern part of the Dachstein
- Distance: approx. 800 m at face height of 600 m
- Alpine experience required! In the early summer it is advantageous wearing climbing irons! The trail itself is fabulously made safe with a steel rope of 30 mm calibre. Recommendable only during fair weather!
- Difficulty: D/E
- Period of ascent: June until mid-October, favourable time: mid-July until mid-September
The classic: HOHER DACHSTEIN
- The summit of the Dachstein is made accessible with three climbing trails
- East: shoulder’s ascent (B, 2 hours), north: rim’s ascent (B, 1 hour), west: western ridge (A/B, 1,5 hours)
- The rim’s ascent is made safe by metal grip straps and step straps, the shoulder and the western ridge is made safe by a permanent wire cable.
- Due to thrown object hazard do necessarily only climb on the trail!
- Difficulty: A/B
7 good reasons for hiking in the mountain village of Filzmoos
1. Hiking in Filzmoos protects your heart
Your heart will appreciate the gentle exercise. Easy ascents between flat streches are particularly good. Your heart beats more regularly and pumps more blood with oxygen through your body.
2. Hiking in Salzburger Land regulates blood fat levels
Your cholesteral level is lowered, the “bad” LDL cholesteral is reduced, and the “good” HDL cholesteral is increased. Therefore the risk of cardiovascular disease is reduced.
3. Hiking in Austria lowers your blood pressure
As with any regular stamina training blood pressure is harmonised by extensive hiking.Wie bei jedem regelmäßigen Ausdauertraining wird der Blutdruck durch ausgiebiges Wandern harmonisiert. Blood pressure at rest as well as under exertion responds positively.
4. Hiking in Filzmoos strengthens your lungs
Due to intensified breathing the lungs are supplied with oxygen into every last corner and purged when breathing out. Lung capacity and efficiency are boosted. Due to increased oxygen supply all organs are supplied better an the heart is relieved.
5. Hiking in Salzburger Land strengthens the bones
This effect is particularly important for women. Regular hiking strengthens the muscles too and stimulates circulation. Joints, tendons and ligaments are stressed in a positive way.
6. Hiking in Austrian stimulates the whole metabolism
You’ll see it in your skin. Due to the varying temperatures, wind and weather it becomes robuster, rosier and better supplied with blood.
7. Hiking in Filzmoos strenghtens your immune system
Regular hiking – all year round, makes you more resistant to various infections, particularly against cold viruses. The natural killer cells destroy them immediately.